Building with Nature challenges you to think, act and interact differently while designing hydraulic infrastructure. The underlying theme of a Building with Nature design is to utilize ecosystem services, thereby creating opportunities for nature, economy and society. The lessons learned in pilot projects are collected in the web-based Building with Nature Design Guideline.
The guideline contains a general chapter that introduces the Building with Nature philosophy, the Building with Nature principles and the five general design steps that are involved:
1. Understand the system (including. ecosystem services, values and interests)
2. Identify realistic alternatives that use and/or provide ecosystem services.
3. Evaluate the qualities of each alternative and preselect an integral solution
4. Fine-tune the selected solution (practical restrictions and governance context)
5. Prepare the solution for implementation in the next project phase