Planning and design
The EIA study advised the following mitigating measures to minimize environmental impact of the dredging works:
- Relocation of valuable coral communities;
- Water quality and current monitoring;
- Placement of two settlement basins and a silt screen;
- Discharge of reclamation water below the 40m depth contour to prevent sediment returning into the sea;
- Balance of cut and fill quantities so that no dredged material had to be disposed offsite;
- Use of split screens during the breakwater construction.
A thorough monitoring system of the water quality was installed (including turbidity, coral health and sedimentation rate) to ensure that these mitigation measures were effective.