The construction of a depot for clay ripening roughly consists of the following steps:
- Preparing the sites, incorporating leveling, removal of existing structures and construction of containment dams;
- Building separation dams to create compartments;
- Excavation of a ditch around the depot to drain the water originating from the sediments;
- Installing equipment for water management such as drains, the so-called water boxes (in Dutch: ‘stortkisten’ );
- Installing monitoring equipment for meteorological information, soil level, water content and -related- soil-density;
- Installing pressure pipelines to transport the sediment-water mixture from the dredging vessel to the compartments.